Thursday, December 4, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

We had such a wonderful Thanksgiving this year. We were in Parowan and 5 of the 7 kids were there with their families, including my little sister who came home all the way from Chicago to be here. My mom knew there was NO way that we were all going to fit in her living room for dinner so she had the brilliant idea of turning their big garage into a giant "family room". It was perfect! My dad insulated the walls and put plastic on the ceiling so that the heat would not escape. Then they hung a bunch of my moms beautiful handmade quilts on the walls to make it cozy. They got some carpet to lay down on the cement and then brought in some great propane heaters so that is was toasty warm. Add some wonderful lights, some plants, and 3 big tables with plenty of room for everyone and it became the room everyone wanted to hang out in. When we got there Wed. night we had a "pig dinner" Remember from my last post about how my mom always made dinner fun. Well this is another example. My dad made her a bunch of pig troves out of plywood and then covered them in foil. The object of dinner is to keep your hands behind your back and eat...well...like a pig. Sounds immature and gross, I know, but it keeps everyone laughing.

Thanksgiving morning started off with the "turkey bowl". My parents have a huge field next to them so they had the perfect place to show their "manliness" to us wives. Jasons team won of course (Go baby) but the whole day was wonderful and the evening after the meal was spent playing lots of games and laughing our heads off. One of the things my family does well is the pie fest. This year I believe we had 13 or 14 different pies. It makes choosing very difficult.

Friday was our annual Christmas tree hunt in the mountains followed by my moms fabulous homemade cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate. I love that my family has so many wonderful traditions. We have been doing this since I was very young and I have always loved it. It is a little harder with tiny kids but that is when you should be creating fun memories right?













Saturday all 5 siblings and spouses went to Cedar City to watch Twilight. It is always so much fun to spend time with family and this was a blast. Even though it was not my favorite movie (by a long shot) it was so memorable because of the company. I hope you all had a fantastic Thanksgiving and that it kicked off a great Holiday Season for you!!!

11 comments:

Loni said...

That sounds like so much fun! Your moms quilts are beautiful, what a good way to make use of them and also show them off! I'm glad you a good Thanksgiving!

jaime said...

Wow the garage was a good idea. Your mom sounds like so much fun!

Danette~ said...

Glad to hear the Vincent bunch had a great Thanksgiving weekend! Looks like tons of fun was had by all!!

Suzette said...

Paige,
That stinks I wish I would have seen you guys that would have been fun. The funny part is we were at the Theater on Friday watching Twilight as well. Which one did you go to?

Shantelle said...

looks like fun! Yay for family traditions. There is nothing like them. I love the garage trick, we will have to try that sometime. :)

Brad.Lindsey.Lexi.Rowen said...

It looks like you had a great holiday. We had our big feast at a church because we had way too many people for one house. I stoped counting at about 48 people. It was really fun.

Shannon said...

What a great idea with the garage. And also another great idea with the hot chocolate and cinnamon rolls. I am going to definitly add that one to our Christmas Tree Hunt tradition next year. Your mom is very talented. I was eyeing up those quilts in the background. Those are a lot of work.

~Kreitzers said...

I LOVE YOUR FAMILY!!!! It made me miss all of you looking at the pictures and reading the family home evening memories, you have one of the FUNNEST families I know!

Matt and Valerie said...

This was a great post Paige. It was so much fun to be home with you all. Sure love ya!
Val

Aldred Family said...

Happy (belated) Thanksgiving!! Looks like a really fun weekend!! I love that your parents had the idea to use the garage! It looks awesome! Cute pictures... we REALLY need to hang out!! Glad you guys had a good holiday, I can't believe Christmas is right around the corner!

John and Diana said...

So much fun! If only everyone could be so lucky to have a family such as yours!!! You guys are great!