Friday, November 21, 2008

Funny Family Home Evening

When I was younger, I remember my mom doing a lot of things to keep dinner fun. Whether it was going out to the gap and roasting hot dogs on the WRONG rake (my dad didn't come out until later and only then did he realize that the rake she brought was the one he had used earlier that afternoon to spread fertilizer in the garden...,..OOOPS!!!!), or going up to the Yankee and all of us squishing back into the car to eat cause it's too cold outside, and being called a bunch of "pantywaists" by my dad, and then all of us unable to stop laughing so dad had to say the blessing on the food, and then HE starts laughing in the middle of saying the blessing. Ahh good times...good times.

Another of my favorite dinners was what she called good sport dinners. We would always have these when there were getting to be a lot of leftovers in the refrigerator so she would heat up a bunch of different left overs and put them on plates (each plate having something different on it) then she would cover the plate with a bowl so you couldn't see what it was. Then each plate was numbered and we would draw numbers and have to eat the corresponding plate number and be a GOOD SPORT about it. I remember being realllllly bummed sometimes with what I got, and other times feeling pretty lucky, although not TOO lucky because the really good dinners never had any leftovers--logically!
But probably my favorite of the fun dinners was "try to eat spaghetti with this" night. She would chose her hardest utensils in the kitchen and we would have to try to eat spaghetti with it. There are some really funny pix of us growing up doing this but since I am an idiot and don't know how to scan and use old pictures, you will just have to trust me on this one. I did however take plenty of good pictures of doing it the other night. It was fun and the kids really enjoyed doing it. I think this is one tradition that will go on in my little family.

Sorry about the double pix of me (even though it's sooooo attractive). for some reason it posted twice and I couldn't figure out how to delete it.

11 comments:

Stella said...

I love this!!! What a fun idea. Thanks for sharing the memories too. I can't wait to try this with my family.

Becky said...

ok, that is hilarious!! I'm going to write that down to do with my family when we get a little older (it's messy enough having Ben and Julia use the CORRECT utensil to eat spaghetti) :) I love it!

Loni said...

What a fun mom you are! I love the idea, I bet it definately keeps dinner interesting! And it will make lots of good memories for your kids as it yourself.

Brad.Lindsey.Lexi.Rowen said...

Very creative! Tell Kaycee to suggest this for a YW activity. I think it would be a funny Dad and Daughter Activity. I am so excited to be working directly with Kaycee. I really think we are in for a fun New Year in YW.

Rhiannon said...

Your mom is always so much fun! I think all my fav highschool dinners were at your house with Val. I think I'm going to start using these at home. My kids need a fun mom and a chance to be "good sports"!

Thanks for bringing up some good memories!

Danette~ said...

Oh, how FUN! I loved reading your post and seeing the fun pictures.
Such great ideas...I need to try some of those with my family. Thanks for sharing!

Grandma and Grandpa Chesnut said...

Love it! You do such fun things. WE love our family so much. You are awesome!!!

John and Diana said...

Your mom is truly amazing! What a fun thing to do! You guys are soooo cute!

Unknown said...

That sounds so fun, What a great way to have fun together. Your mom sounds really cool.

Jo Schaffer said...

Haha! I like the pasta pics. You look like pros. My mom is Italian - we ate A LOT of pasta! (=

The Warner Family said...

I know you posted that pic of yourself twice on purpose, because even when you are eating you still look good!!!All of your family things sound so fun.